Google confirmed that Penguin 3.0 version has started rolling out on Friday, 17th October 2014. It has stated that the update will continue for the next few weeks and will impact around 1% of the English search queries. This update is a refresh of the existing Penguin but hasn’t confirmed the new changes brought in the algorithm. But, it is a worldwide update and would impact all version of Google search result. People have noticed vast changes in a search result and rightly speculated that must be the long waited Penguin update.
Google has started penguin update in 24th April 2012 and rolled out six in total. The main purpose of this update is to discourage webmaster using link scheme or link building against the guidelines of Google. It hit the ranking of websites involving in black hat SEO practices and encourages companies to follow its guidelines. In this update, Google target websites deemed spammy and decrease their ranking during the update. The website once hit by this update has to wait for another update to get ranking in search result even after sorting out the problems. Hence, it is essential to follow the guidelines of Google to maintain the ranking and get favour from it.
Here is the series of Penguin update so far.
- Penguin 1.0 rolled out on 24th April 2012 affected about 3% of queries globally.
- Penguin 1.1 rolled out on 26th May 2014 affected around 0.1% queries.
- Penguin 1.2 rolled out on 5th October 2012 affected around 0.3% of queries.
- Penguin 2.0 rolled out on 22 May 2013 affected about 2.3% of queries.
- Penguin 2.1 rolled out on 4th October 2014 affected around 1% of queries.
- Penguin 3.0 rolled out on 17th October 2014 affecting about 1% of queries.
In this update, Google has communicated very poorly and confirmed two days after rolling out. Webmasters are worried about the changes that Google has brought in this update but hasn’t given detail. Though, the update will continue for a few weeks but showing lots of changes in the result. We shall inform about the detail of changes in Penguin algorithm after getting information from Google.