Every two years, Moz interview search experts to study their views and find correlations in order to understand the working of search algorithm for ranking websites. Moz has released search ranking factors of 2015 after extensive study with other partners. This year, Moz has interviewed over 150 search marketing experts to know their opinions on over 90 ranking factors of a google search engine. Experts’ opinions have been correlated by data scientists of the company to find out the top factors that tend to deliver high-end ranking to websites in a search result. To study the influence of ranking by the features of websites and WebPages, Moz has partnered with SimilarWeb, DomainTools, and Ahrefs to get the insights. This is why the study is getting more preference from the SEO world.
The result of the study is almost similar to the previous ones with minute changes. A link is still very important and leads as the most important ranking factor while social signal metrics has been ranked at 9th in term of importance. Here are the top 9 factors according to a survey of Moz that appears to influence the ranking of a website in a search result.
- Domain-Level Link Features – Links are still the most important ranking factors in a search result. Good quality links influence the ranking of about 8.22/10 of a search result. It is based on link/citation metrics such are a number of links, trust, domain-level, page-rank, etc.
- Page-Level Link Features – Good quality links are even essential for page-level features in ranking higher. Important metrics of pages like PageRank, trust metrics, a quantity of linking root domains, links, anchor texts distributions, quality, etc. It influences about 8.19/10 in the search result.
- Page-Level Keyword and Content-Based Features– Quality content with special keywords are one of the top influencer and influence about 7.87/10 of a search result. Features taken in this metrics are content relevant scoring, on-page optimization of keywords usage, topic-modeling algorithm score on content, content quantity/quality and relevance.
- Page-Level Keyword-Agnostic Features – It is also an important feature influencing the ranking of about 6.57/10 of a search result. Metrics analyzed in this category are content length, readability, open-graph markup, uniqueness, load speed, structured data markup, HTTPS, etc.
- Engagement and Traffic Query Data – Customer engagement with the website is an important metric taken in ranking about 6.55/10 of search result ranking. Features looked for analyzing this metric are Data SERP engagement metrics, visitor traffic/usage signals, quantity/diversity/CTR of queries, etc. It influences both on domain and page level ranking of a website.
- Domain – Level Brand Metrics –This factor includes how brand name is utilized in an offline/domain name, mentioning of a brand/domain name in news/media/press, toolbar/browser data of site usage, entity association, etc. This metric influences about 5.88/10 of the search result.
- Domain-Level Keyword Usage – Selection of right keywords helps in ranking higher and considered an important metric influencing ranking about 4.97/10 of a search result. Exact-match keyword domains, partial-keyword matches, etc are taken into account for this metric.
- Domain-Level Keyword-Agnostic Features – Important features influencing the ranking of a website about 4.09/10 of the search result. Important features looked for these metrics are domain name length, TLD extension, SSL certificates, etc.
- Page-Level Social Metrics – Social media still play important role in increasing ranking of website higher in a search result. Quality and quantity of links shared in social media influence about 3.98/10 search result.
Moz is claiming the survey to be the biggest and most extensive study of ranking factors of Google till date. SEO experts are welcoming the study and trying to follow the guidelines given in the study. Provide your views on the study of Moz with your comment below.